Step off the roads and crowded boardwalks with an experienced naturalist guide who will lead you safely into the wild beauty of Yellowstone to our favorite mountain meadows and inspiring vistas.
Geysers, Hot Springs and Bubbling Mud Pots, Oh My!
- Summer 2023 Rates
- 1 person
- 2 people
- 3 people
- 4 people
- 5 people
- 6 people
- 7 people
- 8 people
- 9 people
- 10 people
Explore the best of the Yellowstone Volcano
Highlights may include:
- Old Faithful – Yellowstone’s most iconic feature and the world’s most famous geyser!
- Grand Prismatic – A dramatic rainbow of colors that make up the world’s 3rd largest hot spring, and perhaps a short hike to a scenic overview allowing for an aerial view of this thermal jewel.
- Artist Paint Pots – Fascinating pools of bubbling mud
- Fountain Paint Pots – All four types of thermal features found in the world are concentrated along one short ½-mile boardwalk.
- Gibbon Falls – Gibbon River cascades 88’over the edge of the caldera left by Yellowstone’s most recent major volcanic eruption – roughly 640,000 years ago.
- Norris Geyser Basin – An otherworldly landscape of porcelain pools and hissing steam home to the unpredictable Steamboat Geyser, the tallest active geyser in the world!
Explore the best of the Yellowstone Volcano, one of the largest active volcanoes in the world, with a local expert guide. Yellowstone has more than 200 active geysers and over 10,000 thermal features; there is so much to explore! We will show you our favorite geysers, colorful springs and bubbling mud pots, and some local secrets along the way. This tour will be crafted around your interests and abilities and can include a longer hike to some off-the-beaten-path features as well! You will see all of these amazing features and begin to understand how and why Yellowstone is such a hotspot for them.
This day will take us down the west side of the park as we explore and unravel the mysteries of the awe-inspiring geological and thermal features for which Yellowstone drew national attention to become the world’s first National Park in 1872.
A major focus of this tour is an eruption of the world’s most famous geyser, Old Faithful. This remarkable feature, named in 1871 prior to the establishment of Yellowstone, has remained reliably “faithful” in its eruptions, and continues to awe visitors with its incredible raw power and predictable behavior. In the area surrounding Old Faithful, we can hike through a huge concentration of colorful, active pools that are home to their own fascinating ecosystems, as well as potentially witness eruptions of other spouting geysers with names like Beehive, Castle, Grand, Lion, Grotto, and Riverside!
Throughout the day, your guide will be sharing the fascinating and complex ways in which volcanism, glacial periods, plate tectonics, and hydrology have shaped the landscape and laid the foundation for the ecology and wildlife we see in and around Yellowstone today.
Your tour experience:
- Experience the magic of Yellowstone’s iconic hydrothermal features
- Your own local naturalist guide
- Private and fully customizable tours
- Small, single-party groups
- Away from the crowds and into the wild
- Vast, wide-open spaces and clean mountain air
- Breakfast and lunch – picnic style
- Safe, fun and educational
Your Tour Includes:
- Full-day (8 hour) private guided tour
- Transportation in our fully equipped touring vehicle (we drive, you enjoy the scenery)
- Plenty of space for gear and extra clothing
- Breakfast pastries and hot drinks (coffee, tea, hot cocoa)
- Healthy and hearty snacks and beverages
- Full picnic lunch spread
Gratuity is NOT included in the price of the tour. Tipping your guide is a common practice in North America, and tips are an important part of their income.
What to Bring
- Warm clothes for cooler early morning hours
- Dress warmly so that you can comfortably be out in the elements during the cold hours of the dawn. You will be at high elevations in the Rocky Mountains, and temperatures will be unseasonably cold. Be prepared!
- Close-toed shoes/hiking boots
- Long pants
- Windbreaker/rain jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Duffle/backpack to store warm clothing as the day warms up
- Water bottle (reusable) *please remember to drink plenty of water at this high altitude
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- Lots of questions and curiosity!
Yellowstone National Park is a very large place divided by mountain ranges, deep valleys and a massive lake. The weather within the 2.2 million acres can vary widely, so checking the weather in the park can be a difficult task. We recommend checking several different NOAA weather stations around the park, and working an average of those if you’re planning to travel around the entirety of the park.
Park rules and Yellowstone code of ethics
As a licensed Commercial Use Permit holder with Yellowstone National Park, we must follow all park rules and regulations. Additionally, as life-long proponents of wildlife and wild places, we will also follow our own ethical practices. We will take this opportunity to teach you about how we can have the very best experience possible without having negative impacts on wildlife or on other visitors.
While on tour with Yellowstone Wild LLC, we will observe all park rules (subject to law enforcement):
- Keep at least 25 yards from all wildlife, except:
- Keep at least 100 yards from wolves and bears
- Avoid remaining near or approaching wildlife, including birds, at any distance that disturbs or displaces the animal.
- Remain on board walks or established trails in hydrothermal areas.
- Observe but do not touch hydrothermal features.
Custom Portrait Adventure Photography Package
Yellowstone Wild is proud to partner with Jess at Chocolate Moose Images to offer a unique custom portrait photography package as a special add-on option for your tour. If you are visiting Yellowstone to celebrate an important milestone in your life (anniversary, birthday, honeymoon or graduation) or are simply on a much-needed family trip, our Portrait Adventure Photography Package is designed to capture your special moment. Jess specializes in classic portraits as well as highly candid photographs in and around Yellowstone National Park. She has a special gift for capturing genuine moments that vividly portray personality and emotion – and in a setting like Yellowstone, personality and emotion shine bright!
Jess will visit with you before your tour to develop a rapport, share ideas with one another and discuss how her photo shoot works. She will then join us on your tour out in the wilds of Yellowstone. She works discretely to capture meaningful moments of you exploring Yellowstone, while also keeping her trained eye open for the perfect Yellowstone-themed backdrop for your portraits. To see a sample of images from a winter tour, please visit the gallery here. If you have more specific questions about how to customize this for your adventure, please reach out to Jess.
Cost: $789 including a candid session on tour and a slightly more formal session (time to be arranged).
Final products: In total, she’ll spend between 3-5 hours with your family providing around 70 images in an online gallery. Printing services are available and highly encouraged.